Inner Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sci-Fi = Sy Fy?!?!

4 posters

Go down

Sci-Fi = Sy Fy?!?! Empty Sci-Fi = Sy Fy?!?!

Post by GeekGoddess82575 Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:37 pm

What is up with the name change? Are they going to stop (or at least lessen the amount of) the really bad, bad bad movies, and quit playing that WCF "wrestling" (why the frak is that even on the Sci-Fi channel anyway?!?!)?!?!

At least they are starting Eureka back up...
GeekGoddess82575
GeekGoddess82575

Back to top Go down

Sci-Fi = Sy Fy?!?! Empty Re: Sci-Fi = Sy Fy?!?!

Post by Lestack Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:02 pm

They're changing to SyFy to 1) give people syphilis;

2) because they hate science fiction and want to appeal to fratboys who like tits;

3) so they can show more "wrestling" and the like.
Lestack
Lestack
Membership Liaison

http://ilstack.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GeekGoddess82575 Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:05 pm

*Runs away screaming in Horror*

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GeekGoddess82575
GeekGoddess82575

Back to top Go down

Post by SpaceshipGuru72 Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:56 am

A Heated Minute Of Reflection Upon Sy-Fy And What It Might Mean For Us All:

Yep. In the grand scheme of things the old Sci-Fi Channel was losing profit. In its earlier days it catered too much to the sci-fi fan by showing a wide range of old sci-fi TV shows from the 50s-80s. But that only appealed to a small percentage of America. The SFC went through some changes in the Powers-That-Be.

I suspect the new bosses really do not like science fiction in its pure form. A sprinkling is OK (for example they could tolerate Quantum Leap and X-Files, but not something as deep and involving as continuing reruns of Babylon 5, UFO, Blake's 7, Farscape, The Prisoner. No the Powers-That-Be wanted a bigger bite of the money pie. So they wanted to attract the mainstream audience - not so much the nerd/geek viewer.

The Powers-That-Be began to find ways to appeal to the wider general public. They did less 'space based' shows, dropped most older sci-fi shows, brought in wrestling. For years the name Sci-Fi Channel was a burden to the new Powers-That-Be. It carried with it the stigma of weirdness that turns the mainstream audience off. After all the Powers-That-Be wanted to attract viewers that normally watch Desperate Housewives, Dancing With The Stars, Survivor, Medium, Law And Order and so on.

New shows (except for Galactica and to some extent the Stargate spin-offs) were to be more along the lines of 'science fiction-lite'. Thus Eureka, Warhouse 13, Flash Gordon, Tin Man and all those really bad Saturday night TV movies were ushered in. Those science fiction-lite shows were less expensive to produce and they might catch the fancy of people who rarely-if-ever read sci-fi novels.

At best the Powers-That-Be were hoping to disguise the Sci-Fi Channel's origins. So with a bit of spelling trickery they changed Sci-Fi Channel to Sy-Fy. Sounds the same, but the theory is it will appear to be 'hip-hop friendly'. By this I mean it reflects the style of writing one uses on the Internet or while texting. Particularly anyone 25 years old or younger.

You jettison proper spelling in favor of simplification. Instead of using YOU now the hip kids use U. Or instead of ARE they use R. Or instead of LOTS OF LAUGHS or plain old LAUGHTER the cool kids use LOL. So SCI-FI CHANNEL becomes SY-FY. Another sign that our culture might be slipping toward illiteracy and computer dependancy.

This concludes my reflective rant. Sorta off topic, but mentioned in the rant you just read. One other parting shot about computer dependancy. What worries me the most about the hip kids is their need to have their laptops/PCs on and in use nearly every hour or day. Its like a security blanket or something. Every time I meet one of these people I can not help, but think of Charlie Brown's friend and his blue blanket. I like computers, but I'm not a slave to them. I can turn off the machine. I'm proud of that.
SpaceshipGuru72
SpaceshipGuru72

Back to top Go down

Post by Lestack Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:09 pm

I decided since we've got somewhat off the topic of "Sci-fi = syfy(lis)" I'd separate the two threads of discussion. This thread is for SyFyLis discussion, and the other one is to complain about how everything new/convenient is bad or whatever :p
Lestack
Lestack
Membership Liaison

http://ilstack.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GreenLantern2814 Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:00 pm

I don't get it. I just don't.

Steve
GreenLantern2814
GreenLantern2814

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum