Inner Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bryan Singer's Battlestar Movie Is Greenlit!

Go down

Bryan Singer's Battlestar Movie Is Greenlit! Empty Bryan Singer's Battlestar Movie Is Greenlit!

Post by SpaceshipGuru72 Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:20 pm

Well here's an interesting development...

The success of the recently concluded SyFy version of B-star-G and the success of the Star Trek reboot movie has sparked interest in a Bryan Singer production of B-star-G. Yes you read that correctly. Seems director Bryan Singer is set to direct a NEW THEATRICAL RELEASE of B-star-G. This big screen movie will have no connection to the Ronald Moore/SyFy show. It will be based on the classic version of B-star-G (1978).

For those not paying attention...

Years before Ronald Moore/SyFy took over B-star-G a big screen revival was very close to production. This B-star-G film was a continuation of the classic series - not a reboot. Glen Larson (classic B-star-G's creator), Bryan Singer, and Robert DeSanto (Wing Commander director) were poised to do the revival in 2001. Production would have started August/Sept of that year). Then 9-11 happened. Also Singer was moving in the direction of the X-Men franchise. So that film went into development hell. You can find designs and sets from this near miss.

What to make of this...

Already critics of this new B-star-G film are asking - "Too soon?" Syfy just wrapped the four year run of Moore's version of B-star-G and is now set to give us a new tv-movie (The Plan) and a weekly prequel series (Caprica). Can a completely different take on the B-star-G saga co-exist with up coming SyFy product? Will not the common movie/tv viewer be confused? After all classic B-star-G and Moore's B-star-G reboot are almost completely different animals - yet both will carry the same title. We geeks know the difference, but the general public...not so much.

How do I feel about this...

I'm OK with it. I like both versions of B-star-G. As I said the two versions are very different in tone and style. The classic B-star-G is more like Star Wars - pure space opera pulp. So this new film is likely to be less about social/political allegory and more about a galaxy-spanning 'shoot'em up'. Oh and the biggest difference...

no Six and Starbuck is a guy. Cylon!
SpaceshipGuru72
SpaceshipGuru72

Back to top Go down