Inner Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Universe thinks I'm Atlas

3 posters

Go down

The Universe thinks I'm Atlas Empty The Universe thinks I'm Atlas

Post by GeekGoddess82575 Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:38 am

Hey Y'all, sorry for the extended abscence, but I think you'll be sympathetic to the reasons.

Once again, my life defies the odds.

We found out the week before Christmas that my mother has terminal liver disease, and is not a candidate for transplant at this point in time. I left my home & job in Ohio, and moved to Indy earlier than anticipated (Jan 2nd) to help look after her. They said she has around 2-3 years.

The opportunity also presented itself for me to go back to school, so I am now enrolled full-time at Ivy Tech full time to go for my Nursing degree. I'm also working part-time as a bookkeepper at a small construction company.

Last Friday 3/26, I got the call from my Aunt that my dad had had a seizure the day before and was in the hospital. They found it was due to a 4cm mass in the left fronatl lobe of his brain, right under the skull. They did a craniotomy on him last Sunday, then had to do another one Tuesday because he developed another brain bleed. In addition to the seizure, the initial mass also gave him stroke like symptoms (Right arm paralysis and screwed up speech patterns). The initial pathology reports indicates that the mass is Glioblastoma Multiforme Type 4 brain cancer. It's one of the most agressive cancers, and is terminal usually within 18 months or less from diagnosis, even with treatment. I've been camped out in his Hospital here in Knoxville, TN since last Friday night. He's going to have 4-6 weeks of rehab to get use of his right arm back and speech therapy to be able to speak properly again. His cognition is all there, but he has trouble getting his words to match his thoughts. It's looking like he may be moving in with me in Indy since he has no other family here in TN and there is a specialty cancer program in Indy for what he's got.

Prayers, Chants, Candles, Good MoJo, whatever you got is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Gang,

Red

Last edited by GeekGoddess82575 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Humor is my coping mechanism)
GeekGoddess82575
GeekGoddess82575

Back to top Go down

The Universe thinks I'm Atlas Empty Re: The Universe thinks I'm Atlas

Post by Gotham Knight Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:10 am

Oh my gosh Red! :*(

Of course I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts. If you want/need to talk, let me know and I'll PM you my number.

Doug
Gotham Knight
Gotham Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by GeekGoddess82575 Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:47 pm

Thanks Doug.

The good news is he's made remarkable recovery physically and was out of the rehab hospital in a week. He does still have to go to outpatient speech therapy 3 times a week, fortunately the therapy center is right by my apartment, and he is staying with me now. We have his first Oncology Dr. appointment tomorrow.

I'm looking for a Work-from-home kind of job so that I can leave whenever I need to to go to appointments with him and mom., and run errands and stuff.

I'll keep y'all posted

Red
GeekGoddess82575
GeekGoddess82575

Back to top Go down

Post by Cincinnatus Prime Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:27 am

I am deeply sorry that is happening, especially with both of your parents and at the same time. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Cincinnatus Prime
Cincinnatus Prime
Executive Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down