Inner Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

History Channel - The Universe - Space Wars

Go down

History Channel - The Universe - Space Wars Empty History Channel - The Universe - Space Wars

Post by SpaceshipGuru72 Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:30 pm

Anybody watch HC's Universe episode regarding space based warfare?

If at some point in the future a reboot of the entire Star Wars saga happens - I see them dropping the use of WWII style dogfighting in favor of more realistic space based dogfighting. HC's Space War episode demonstrated how a dogfight in space would likely be conducted. It certainly would not resemble airplane battles of yesteryear. Oh no. It would be thrusting and pivoting and drifting. Lasers would be invisible to the eye and it would be soundless. At least outside some air filled hull (most of us already are aware of this). Star Wars is stylistic and not to be taken as a fact based examination of space warfare. BUT the producers of a Star Wars reboot might decide to leave behind the stylistic approach already mastered by Lucas. They might opt for a measure of realism.

Babylon 5 and Ronald Moore's Galactica both approach the realism angle of vacuum-centric combat. But even they falter in sticking to a non-aerial dogfight. I think the only show/movie to do the space dogfight right would be Gerry Anderson's U.F.O. (1974). In GA's U.F.O. the humans use spacefighters called 'Moonbase Interceptors'. They are like a stripped down X-wing or Colonial Viper. By stripped down I mean they have no wings. They have plenty of retro-rockets and a main rocket thruster positioned aft. The nose of the Moonbase Interceptor is a projectile. These craft from GA's U.F.O. move like real spacecraft - by punctuated rocket thrusts and drifts. The enemy craft in GA's U.F.O. are spinning egg-shaped saucers. The spinning likely creates gravity onboard the enemy craft. Their movement is also thrusting and drifting - though rockets are not apparant.

What do my fellow Geeks think of the HC's Space War episode? What are your thoughts about the future of warfare in space? Greed, hatred and ignorance perhaps do travel faster-than-light. So as we expand out into our star system and beyond we'll likely be squabbling violently from time-to-time. Tell us what you think it'll be like. Does HC nail it? scratch
SpaceshipGuru72
SpaceshipGuru72

Back to top Go down